.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Survival Kit Tip

A couple years ago I put together a few survival kits (no, I don’t have any left). I included a piece of saw with some duct tape wrapped around one end so as to use it as a handle and to keep some tape available in the kit. The hacksaw blade can be used as a firesteel striker and the saw can be used to cut metal. A few days ago I had to cut through an old lock and decided to try using the saw in my kit to see how well it worked in real life conditions. It did take a few minutes but it did cut through the lock.

This is a simple tip for when putting together small survival kits such as altoids and other tin kits. You can also sharpen the other side so as to use it as a knife. A wharncliffe style tip can be grind into it, well suited for detail cutting.
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just might have enough space in my daily EDC kit for that, though tape wrap would have to be minimal. Little plastic M&M candy cylinder kit I made a month ago is now a kit I can FINALLY carry every day without complaint or concern.

Thanks for tip.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you wrapped it to cut on the push stroke. Is there a reason to prefer that?